Sunday, December 23, 2012

Out of Little Scrapes

And it keeps on growing...





Next addition...




Yesterday I visited with my friend Chris and we talked quilting for a few hours while her bread was raising.  She is a great quilter but was wondering if there were some 'basics' to quilting she had missed along the way.  She found "Quilter's Academy" at our downtown quilt store.  After thumbing through it I know there are a few basics I have missed along the way. The first book addresses the quarter inch seam...now how simple can that be to get right?  Let me tell you after years of quilting I still fight with it.

Then we went on to a discussion about the straight of grain and how when buying material it should be ripped, not cut.  So next time you ask for a yard (or whatever) of material ask them to rip it.  You would be amazed at how you can lose anywhere from 1 to 4 inches of fabric by cutting then trying to true up your piece afterward when you get it home.

 So out of curiosity I went out to my favorite bookstore - Amazon.com!  There are a number of books in the series and picking and choosing would be difficult.  There is so much that goes into the making of a quilt, especially if it is going to be quilt show perfect.  Knowing that Chris has Book 1, I think I will order the book on triangles and how to set them....

Happy quilting (continued).

No comments:

Post a Comment