Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Thread Painting

To call it thread painting is to use the theory very loosely.  I still haven't master the art of free hand machine quilting so I go back to what I am comfortable with.  Good old straight stitching with lots of curves!  

 





90% is done with straight stitching but the stems and the small shadow between the pears are free handed.


Moving right along with the stitching.  I have three layers that are being sewed through: top, batting, and stabilizer.  I would have put a backing on this but I am thinking of going with an envelope back because I have never did a backing this way.  

 

I still wanted to add some red to the pear on the left.  Even though it is hard to see in the picture there is just enough to balance with the dark green.  And it made me happy :-)  You can see in this photo some of the shadow stitching.








Now this could open up a whole new quilt project.  I've seen it done in large quilts where the design is totally stitched using colored thread.  But for now we will flip it over and finish it tomorrow.


Happy quilting!


 

1 comment:

  1. It is looking great! What book do you have that instructed you? I am interested in learning more.

    ReplyDelete