Friday, August 31, 2012

OH MY GOD!

Why didn't Bill tell me that salmon fishing could be so much fun!  (Maybe he has a dozen of times but read on for a fishing story.....)

There are some things in life that you never think to put on your 'bucket list' and crossing the 'bar' at the mouth of the Columbia River is one of them, right along with salmon fishing in the ocean!  Dear husband has been sent out salmon fishing for years and it wasn't till this year that I said 'sure, I will come with you!.'  We scheduled a salmon trip with friends, Linda and RB down the road, to fish out of the town of Astoria, OR.  We all thought we were going to fish the Columbia River.

Well, we did salmon fish with a wonderful guide by the name of Mike.  We didn't exactly fish the Columbia River as he had fished that area the day before and caught nothing.  So bright (well not exactly daylight) we arrived to meet Mike and head out over 'The Bar'!.  The horror stories about the bar were not true that morning.  I had a ball and smiled and laughed the whole way across it.  Bill, as he knew he was going to, had second thoughts about this heading to the ocean.... (ocean motion is not his thing.)

Heading out of the harbor, dawn is just breaking, too early for anyone to be up.

Except for the happy salmon hunters (ok anglers!)  Linda and RB, and Sue and Bill.  (notice it is still dark!)

The Chinook Salmon were in season and gathering for their run up the river.  Ocean fishing is a bit different then river fishing.  There were five of us on the boat and we all had salmon tags so we were able to put out five baited rods.  We fished off of the WA coast in between 32-39 feet of water trolling back and forth.  The day was awesome; thousands of birds, swarms of bait fish, and dolphins to keep us entertained between salmon hits.

First fish brought in!

I promised Bill I would not show pictures of his chumming for us.  He was such a good sport spending most of the day just feeling ______ .  He was so happy to come back in over "The Bar" again (in worse condition then when we went out).

The end of the day's fishing!


Linda and RB with one of the Chinook (but why the small one?)
RB and Mike with the catch of the day.

And me with my first ever salmon!  

We all have our bucket lists of things we would like to see and do in life before the end comes.  Sometimes we are given a freebie in what is handed to us that is not on our list.  This day was not on my list but I am so thankful it was added to it.  We live in an exceptional wonderful world with so many unique experiences....I am so thankful that this one was given to me to have on my 'bucket list'.  Thank you Bill - I love you.

Happy free gifts of life to all of us.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment