Friday, September 9, 2011

Hot Days of Summer

Sometimes you just have to be careful what you wish for.  We had such a late, wet spring and early summer that the topic of conversation was "Are your tomatoes ripening yet?  Ours are still green."  

The heat descended on Roseburg, OR two weeks ago.... tomatoes are red and the harvest has started.  The winter tomato crop is being put in the freezer to last us through the year.  Canning has never intrigued me, plus it scares me enough not to even want to try it.  So we do something that is fast, easy, and doesn't heat up the house.  The tomatoes are picked, washed off, and put in the microwave for eight minutes.  After eight minutes the skins just fall off and they are ready to be put in freezer bags.  Simple! Easy! Fast!


So now that the heat is with us (without air-conditioning) I mainly hibernate through the late afternoons until the cool of the evening.  Sometimes I can talk Bill into the hibernation also.  


Thank goodness for our free library system.  What a gift to the American people!  Where else can you go and bring home a stack of books and have it cost you not a penny.  I have to thank Gaylen (a great lady at work) who got me back into using our public library and also into the habit of "if the book isn't a grabber after 10 pages, it goes back unread."  The theory (another one) being: too many books, too little time.


So here are some recommendations from the last trip.




Brian Freeman - the last book I had was (for me) a page turner and hard to put down.  Bill doesn't seem to be as interested in this author as he has this book first and the bookmark hasn't moved for the last couple of days.


The Memorist by M.J. Ross is interesting and I will finish this one and will read another one of his books.  


Sue Miller - I've read her before but this book "The World Below" hasn't grabbed my attention.  If it was the last book on the shelf I would finish it, but its not.


Ann Patchett - verdict is out as I haven't tried the 10 page rule on her yet.


Where is a good place to go out and find recommended books - NPR on the web.  This time of year they have the summer reading list. 



No comments:

Post a Comment